Monday, September 20, 2010

Dinner#5: Coconut Mango Lime Shrimp over rice

OMG. I know I have been missing in action and I have a lot of recipes to catch up on posting but the dinner I just ate was sooo simple and soooo delicious!!

Ingredients:

Uncooked Shrimp
1 Mango, diced
I can coconut milk
Brown or white rice
EVOO
1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
Salt and Pepper
Coconut Flakes


I have said it before and I will say it again. A rice cooker makes everything so much easier!

Make rice following directions on package but using 1/2 can of coconut milk to replace SOME of the water. You need to use some water or your rice will come out a bit chewy. I used jasmine rice in the rice cooker, poured in the 1.2 can of coco milk and then filled to the line with water.

In a saute pan, drizzle some olive oil on the bottom. Cook shrimp until they turn pink on both sides. Add diced mango and lime juice. Cook for about two minutes until mango starts to soften. Add coconut milk and salt/pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes until the milk gets a tint of yellow and the mango is pretty mushy. Add the coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened) and mix into pan.

Serve shrimp and mango over rice!

Notes on dish: I did not tell you how much shrimp or rice to cook because you can determine that based on how many people you are serving. I get the frozen bag of large size shrimp (21-25 per pound) and only need to cook about 12 for Gordon and I. Also, you do not want to change the amount of mango, but may need additional coconut milk if you are serving a lot more people. Only increase the coconut milk you use to make the sauce, I would NOT add more that 1/2 cup of it to the rice or you will get a somewhat greasy product. I made 2 cups of rice so I would have leftovers and 1/2 can was just right :) This is a sweet dish so unless you like sweet tasting fish dishes, this would not be for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment