Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dinner # 4: Roaster and Rice

It was my second night at home with Gordon and I wanted to make a nice dinner. While food shopping, I realized that I need to coordinate ingredients so that half of the food I buy for the week will not go to waste. Or I need to make meals that I can use the leftovers for other things.

I decided to make a roast chicken with brown rice pilaf and maple glazed carrots. I have always liked the little roast chickens that you can buy in packs of two. However, sometimes they were so small that they barely fed the whole family. Now they are perfect!! Anyone can roast a chicken. Its pretty hard to mess up unless you fall asleep for the night and even then your meat may just turn to jerky!

I love to use fresh herbs and roasting a chicken stuffed with them is no exception. My mother has a ridiculously plentiful herb garden, but if you are not lucky enough to have that resource, you can buy several types of herbs and use them in several recipes throughout the week to cut the cost of only utilizing them in one dish. You can use any kinds you want. I usually tie a bunch up with some kitchen twine and throw it right inside. I also like to cut a lemon in half and put both pieces in the chicken cavity as well! The flavors and moisture that the lemon produces in the meat is wonderful! You can use the leftover meat to make chicken salad sandwiches or top a caesar salad with chunks for a nice lunch or dinner.

I am going to promote a rice cooker again! Get one!!! Last night, I steamed brown rice in chicken broth and steaned carrots at the same time with my veggie insert. I then seasoned the rice with almonds and soy butter and glazed the carrots with a touch of soy butter and maple syrup. Gordie could not get enough of it!!

Although freshly made anything is better then pre-made or boxed items, I have to say that the whole wheat version of stove top will give you your stuffing fix if need be before thanksgiving time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment