I have tried many different ways of preparing this nutritious grain. Some have been great and some have been epic fails. I really like this sweet and crunchy variation. As always, adding or removing any ingredient in a salad won't ruin the recipe but I think that each component adds a great piece to this dish! Its easy and can be served hot or cold, although the census has preferred cold so far!
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup each of regular and golden raisins
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup sliced or chopped almonds, toasted
1 teaspoon tumeric (optional)
fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, cilantro, basil, etc.)
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespook red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
pinch of sea salt
1. Cook quinoa as directed on package.
2. Toast almonds and pine nuts in a dry pan until golden brown. Remember that nuts go from perfect to burnt very quickly and burnt nuts have to be thrown out.
3. In a small saucepan, bring cider vinegar and raisins to a boil. Take off heat and let sit for about 10 minutes. This softens and rehydrates your raisins.
4. Combine ingredients for dressing and mix well.
5. Put cooked quinoa, nuts, raisins with liquid, herbs, and dressing in a bowl and toss until combined.
You can serve it warm or cool in in the fridge and serve it cold!!